In 14 hours and 15 minutes, 2008 as we know it is over. It will then transform into 2009 where all my financial, emotional, physical and familial woes will remain the same. But I’m hoping that this bleakness I’m feeling about the New Year will fade when I’m able to hold Fil at midnight and have that first 2009 kiss.
Right now I’m perhaps a little too panicked about money to think on resolutions or goals. Instead I give you this meme… on my year.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
- started working at a real paying job
- straighten my hair (I’m running low on new experiences, here.)
- purchased an HDTV of my very own
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any, January last year was incredibly hectic, what with Fil’s injury getting worse by the day, her not working and JT being incredibly difficult to handle. If you go through my archives there’s at least one post for each month I’ve maintained this journal… except January 2008.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Beavis did! To my beautiful little niece. Also, loads of online gals! Oh, and my cousin’s girlfriend. I only mention that because my cousin and I used to be close when we were little, and I’m kind of proud of the dad he’s becoming.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I can remember. I tend to block out death.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. Thank you!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Financial stability, assurance that Fil is stable at work, a healthy Fil and a medicated, mentally healthy son.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 14: Baby B was born
March 20: JT hit the double digits… I feel old
May 15: We move into our first apartment together!!
October 11: Fil is officially diagnosed with Stage 0 Bladder Cancer – which has no bumped up to Stage 1.
December 6: My very own 20th birthday. No longer a teenager!
December 25: We have our first Christmas in our new and very own apartment. It is wonderful and memorable.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a job of my very own to start aleviating the financial burdens of my family.
9. What was your biggest failure?
In keeping the stress at bay and not let it affect my relationship with Fil and JT. Which it has.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I sprained my ankle really bad at the end of school. It still hurts.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
JT’s AT-AT and Nerf gun. It sounds weird but the look on his face when he opened them was priceless. It was worth the amount and wait and difficulty. I’d buy it again if I had to!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine: I sucked it up and got a job. I held down the house not once but twice while Fil recovered from surgeries and illnesses.
Fil: Even though she bitched and moaned her way through both surgeries and post-surgical medical leave, she kept her chin up and maintained some form of optimism, especially when I thought all was lost.
JT: He managed to over come some of his problems. At least he’s trying harder to control his rage.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
B&M: During the last months we lived with them they were flippant and ignorant and took advantage of us. They continue to treat Buddha poorly, but I hope that their behaviors are changing with the year.
JT: While he shapped up towards the end of the year, he spent the majority of it being rotten, rude and ungreatful. I wasn’t depressed, but I sure was disappointed.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, bills, rent, JT, food… the normal things…
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
MOVING. I was beyond pumped about that.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I don’t really connect songs with years… ever.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? I couldn’t say… probably the same, but importantly, healthier!
c) richer or poorer? POORER.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read, write and relax. I haven’t done those things, without you know, laundry or child rearing, in ages. Man, not since we lived in the trailor!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Rushing to the hospital. We spent so much time in the ER we befriended one of the nurses and she knew us by name and sight.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
4 times… once with my mother’s father, step-mother and uncle on the 21st for Mexican Fiestamas. Christmas Eve with Beavis, M and the girls. Christmas Day with my parents for a shockingly well executed brunch buffet. And the 27th with my mother’s OTHER side (19 of us in total) for another Mexican Fiestamas.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
All over again with Fil.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Survivor, and Top Chef.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope, still hate and love the same people.
24. What was the best book you read?
Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Music of the Spheres by Mike Oldfield. It’s the only “classical” music Fil will listen to at night.
26. What did you want and get?
A Chi Iron and an updated phone.
27. What did you want and not get?
Mamma Mia! On DVD. Sounds silly, but I really didn’t want a lot this year…
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hands down. WALL-E. Cutest, most heart-warming-ist film EVER.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to brunch with my parents, got my pretty Chi Iron and new cell phone, and then went shopping for winter clothes for JT. Oh, and had a stupid argument with Fil in the middle of Wal-Mart. It was my 20th birthday.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being so damn poor and Fil not being so sick all the time.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
32. What kept you sane?
Books and reality T.V.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmmm celebrity crushes. I didn’t really fancy anyone. Darn.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Prop. 8, most definitely.
35. Who did you miss?
My best friend. She was in Santa Fe almost all year, and even when she was home I was almost too busy to see her!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Little Miss Baby B, of course!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Life will fail you at the most inopportune moment.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Sorry, I’m drawing a blank… eh.